Wednesday 19 June 2013

L02 - Selecting and Justifying methods and techniques used in my narrative video production.



L02 – To select and justify methods and techniques used during the filming.
During the process of creating my narrative music video I will outlines and justify the techniques used and discuss the importance and effectiveness of each chosen element.
Narrative music video production was one of two options which I could create to reach unit 2 criteria, there was also an option to conduct, plan and shoot a fiction film to standard acceptable to an employer or client.

I did outline the possibility of a fiction film being an option which I could select and either create a silent film or film with dialogue. Importantly I did not choose a fiction film because I wanted to learn the skills and information of how to liaise with a musical client, get their permission and use their track to create a narrative arc. The conscious choice to not use dialogue was due to the soundtrack being present, the soundtrack creates the brooding atmosphere and I wanted this to be detailed through the song as opposed to dialogue. In review of my narrative music video production I could not have achieved the same level of atmosphere and tension without music, to justify the methods and techniques used it is critical that I have both music and visual stimulus to create the narrative music video as the music is supposed to guide the narrative of the story. Conclusively I could have shot it as a silent film, fiction film or used dialogue but my decision to not used these were justified as I need the musical track from Graham Woolley to accompany the screenplay which I had created, dialogue was not necessary as the audio is the music file throughout the video.

However I did have an idea for a fiction film, a supernatural short about a comic book leader Jared who runs a weekly book club which turns into a cult group for demons, it turns out one of demons has the ability to read into the future and paint whatever he sees, which just so happens to come true whenever he paints it. When it turns out that Jared is painted in the comic book as dying he must battle against time to destroy the demon and destroy the painting. This fiction film idea was a possible idea which I would have used for my assignment but I thought that financially and logistically this film would have had a much higher budget and demanded much more locations, this was then why I decided to choose narrative music video as I had secure locations, equipment and cast for the narrative music video it was a much more logistical and realistic opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment